When You Can’t Get More Time

November 15, 2016 § 1 Comment

MRCP 6(b) gives trial judges pretty much leeway to allow lawyers an enlargement of time to do all manner of things.

That authority does not exist in some situations, though.

As the Advisory Committee Note to R6 points out, there are times when the court can’t enlarge time at all:

Rule 6(b) gives the court wide discretion to enlarge the various time periods both
before and after the actual termination of the allotted time, certain enumerated cases being excepted. A court cannot extend the time: (1) for filing of a motion for judgment
notwithstanding the verdict pursuant to Rule 50(b); (ii) for filing a motion to amend the court’s findings pursuant to Rule 52(b); (iii) for filing a motion for new trial pursuant to Rule 59(b); (iv) for filing a motion to alter or amend the judgment pursuant to Rule 60(b); (vi) for filing a motion to reconsider a court order transferring a case to another court pursuant to Rule 60(c); or (vii) for entering a sua sponte order requiring a new trial pursuant to Rule 59(d).

Notice that all of those matters can directly affect appeal time. You’ve got to get them timely filed, or they’re waived. The court can’t play out more rope for you.

§ One Response to When You Can’t Get More Time

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

What’s this?

You are currently reading When You Can’t Get More Time at The Better Chancery Practice Blog.


%d bloggers like this: